Sunday, June 03, 2007

Overconfidence...

Last evening was one I'm sure I ain't gonna forget in a long long time. Talk about being supremely confident in one's ability to plan out a sequence of events and then actually follow it out without considering the repercussions. Which was odd, because I normally take that into consideration.
Been a while since I'd met some of my friends from the dance classes I used to go to (Used to... well we'll see what can be done about that). We've kept in touch over the phone as and when we possibly could. A little elaboration here... I'd attended classes for two dances. Salsa and Tango. Salsa, I had joined with Lily, and Tango I had joined with Suman. Now over the past few weeks we had been planning on meeting up sometime. Separately. As in, I was in talks with Lily and also in talks with Suman. I know this sounds bad, ... like a two-timing jackass or something of that sort. But then again, we're just friends. So, we're just looking to catch up after a while.
So, all of a sudden yesterday evening I get this call from Lily saying there is this new Amul outlet opened in town and if I was interested in joining her and her sis, Sayali, in checking it out. So I was like, no probs! I'm there! So we planned to meet up at 1830hrs. Just as I was about to leave from home I got a call from, guess who? Suman! For some reason I had a gut feeling when I saw her number that she too would be free in the evening. And guess what! She was getting off from work early and wanted to meet at 1900hrs!!!
Aaaah! Well... how could I say no. I had no idea when I would get to meet them again.
So I'm thinking, this Amul outlet has got to be a small ice-cream shop right? I mean how long could we possibly be there? Half an hour??? So there I go all confident in telling Suman that I would love to meet her and she suggests meeting at the Cafe Coffee Express outlet (which by the way was RIGHT NEXT TO THE AMUL OUTLET!!!).
So off I am... reach the Amul outlet and I'm thinking... 'uh oh, this looks more like a fast food joint.' Met Lily and Sayali, entered the joint and ordered stuff to eat and drink. Again I'm thinking, 'this is definitely not going how I planned'.
No point on bringing it up at the last moment, so I mentioned to Lily that Suman had called and that she was supposed to meet me at 1900hrs... and so, she might join us. Thankfully the two had met at the dance class and so Lily knew who she was. 1900hrs and Suman's call comes through! I step out. Tension writ large on my face. Put up a brave smile and get Suman to join us. Thankfully, everyone gets along well.
Phew! All's well that ends well right? NOPE. Not in my wildest dreams could I have anticipated what was about to hit me next. The three of them gang up to take my case! Literally! I mean, it was unfortunate that I couldn't make it to the Tango finals because I had fallen ill that day. That topic comes up and both Lily and Suman discuss it vividly, much to Sayali's delight and my chagrin! That being not so good enough... they then further gang up to discuss ME. Bit by bit, part by part.
Much to my relief, it was 2000hrs before we even realised it and everyone had to go home! (HALELUJAH! PRAISE THE LORD!)
All smiles, everyone's talking about what a wonderful, lovely evening it's been and how we should meet up again. Me, who was licking my wounds and picking up whatever pride that remained shattered about... had just one reaction to the above suggestion. *TERROR STRICKEN LOOK*

Well, all said and done, it was indeed a lovely evening. Had my leg pulled quite a bit. But then again, how often does a guy get a chance to sit with three pretty girls and get his leg pulled by all of them, whilst simultaneously being showered with enviable attention. ;)

No comments: