Sunday, July 08, 2007

Voting Farce...

A couple of days back when I was in mumbai, one of my buddies asked me if I had voted for the Taj Mahal in the new 7 wonders of the world list. When I replied in the negative, he exhorted me to exercise my 'right' to vote for the Taj and went on about how we needed to have it on the '7 Wonders of the World' list.
Weird. All this time no one was even bothered about giving the Taj Mahal a second glance and all of a sudden we're being pummelled into exercising our franchise so as to make sure the world knows about the 'Monument of Love'.
Well, i refuse to get into it. Primary reason being that UNESCO has not even recognised this 'new' list. It is a private organisation which just pops out of the blue deciding the world needs a 'new' list of the 'Wonders of the world'. And anyway, who decides on whether a monument is a 'Wonder of the world' just based on people voting via sms and the internet? I mean, the sms's literally mean a whopping windfall of cash flow for the telecom operators. And then we have the government amd the celebrities exhorting the people to make sure the Taj gets into the new list. Well, if the government wants it that bad i'm sure they could just pump in government money into the voting seeing how the money ain't showing any improvement in basic facilities this monsoon across the country.
I mean, how can you even decide on such a list just on the face value of votes?

And above all, if people really love the Taj Mahal so much we wouldn't even need to try to get the Taj Mahal onto the list. It would find it's own way there.

1 comment:

Jyo said...

Finally the governmet made an idiot-show! And media this time turned around to question them...after initially wooing people to vote for it!