Tuesday, February 21, 2006

BOOKS!!!

Was wondering about my ever-expanding mini library... each time i've been making a trip to mumbai, i've made it a point to buy at least a couple of books before I get back to Goa. Last time I got the whole set of Dan Brown. Prior to that was Arundhati Roy's "God of Small Things". This time I picked up Vikram Seth's "The Collected Poems". I had read a portion of the book earlier when I had picked it from a friend. One particular verse stuck in my mind for some unknown reason. Maybe it was how I felt that time... maybe it was nothing at all... it just remained in my mind.

Arion & The Dolphin (A Libretto)
Scene 8 (last verse)

Alone am I, and sad that you are dead,
That you are dead, not I-
That you were kind to me and that led you to die.
When all is done and said-
When all is said and done,
You were my friend, the only one.

Looking forward to picking up "A Suitable Boy" and "Two Lives" sometime soon. Or maybe after I get back from my sailing... in about 9-10 months.
Another book I picked up this time was "Anne Frank". I've read it before... but it's one book you cant get enough of. The maturity with which she's written it never ceases to amaze.
Looking around now... the collection's growing but I gotta store them properly when I leave for the ship. Already requested mom not to let anyone borrow the books whilst i'm away. Some people just don't know to handle books... dog ears... split covers... you name the damage... they do it to your book.
Oh yeah... made a different choice of book this time from mumbai... "Right To Information". Gives a proper explanation of the Act, Rules, Notifications and State Rules. Nice one. Gives you quite some perspective as to what you have a right to know from any public authority.
Two books which I am desperate to get my hands on... "Catcher in the Rye" and "To Kill a Mockingbird".

No comments: