Saturday, May 19, 2007

Do we really keep in touch?

I was talking to this friend of mine last evening and we started off on a topic I've had with many many other friends of mine. How everybody has gotten so engrossed in their work that keeping in touch with other people has become a luxury rather than a necessity. How when you meet someone after a long time you're so happy to have met that person, but you couldn't have taken the time off to give that person a call to see how she/he was doing earlier.
When I was on the ship, I went through this phase wherein I would take a walk on the deck late in the evening and look around the ship. Except on the exceptionally rare cases wherein the ship was coasting, there used to be water all around. And all I could think of was "what on earth am I doing out here?" If I wanted to pick up the phone to call a buddy, I'd have to get a phone card from the 2nd officer. Then again, the phone card would be 20$ for just 10 minutes! I'm not a man of few words! I can't say hi in 3 minutes! Gimme a phone and leave me to talk and listen on it for hours and hours together. That's my idea of a phone conversation. I tell you what's happening in my life and you tell me about yours. My joys and tears and yours too. But then again that's just me.
Luckily for me it didn't take long to focus on work. Got back home and I've had loads of time to spend with other people. But then again they need to be free as well.

If I didn't know better, I'd say I was rambling incoherently just now. I was actually supposed to sit and write a port on Shopping Habits of Women. Actually based on a friend of mine who actually stunned me with what she picked up in a day. Somehow, my mind seems preoccupied. And though I've been calling up people I want to, still this conversation held last evening disturbed my mind enough to keep it up and running.
0055 hours now... I should be hitting the sack. Hitting the sack... came up with that sometime during school. Read it in a book.
Talking about books... I got exams next month. And other than the academic books ... me also reading Freakonomics by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner.

1 comment:

ThisIsMe said...

I totally agree .. more than work .. people are so stuck .. kinda addicted to their PCs or lappies .. they just forget how they completely missed out budging from their revolving chairs even on a holiday! Phew!

Besides travelling, and advanced booking of their time in terms of social commitments ensures no meeting unless you have informed people well ahead of time .. to keep their dates free .. suddenly we are all as busy as a celebrity .. aren't we?

Hhehehe! Life's always on the run!
Like they say .. so much to do .. and so little time .. u seem 2 b an active blogger .. will definitely keep coming bak 2 read ur interesting stories in my free time!

Cheers! Keep it up dude! ;)